ARIANA Grande's drummer has spoken about the terrifying moment the Manchester suicide bomb detonated as they made their way back to their dressing room after the show.
The bomber, named today as UK-born Salman Abedi, killed 22 and maimed 59 as thousands of fans left the Manchester Arena on Monday night.
Speaking to Fox News, Aaron told of the "heartbreaking" moment they realised a bomb had gone off in the venue and said the "painful memory will live with us all forever".
Thousands of adults, teenagers and children screamed and fled in panic after a huge bomb was detonated – thought to be packed with nails and bolts – just as Ariana's concert ended.
Aaron said the band were all safe and were evacuated within seconds of the bomb going off.
He said: "We finished the show and we were walking back to our dressing rooms and BOOM!!!
"We could hear people, we had no idea what it was… there was all kinds of speculation as to what was going on.
"Like 5 minutes after getting to the room, security came in and informed us that we had to evacuate the building immediately.
Most Read in Tv & Showbiz
Alan Carr's ex-husband sobs as he's freed TWO DAYS after he was caged for smash
Comedian dies of Covid aged 40 days after saying 'I regret not getting jab'
Inside Brad Pitt's 'romance' with singer Lykke Li who admits: 'I'm so f***ed up!'
My baby was hit on the head at nursery and I left in tears, says Kate Lawler
"It was then that we realised this was serious. Initially we thought that the sound was all kinds of things but it didn't hit that this was a bomb until we were evacuated and they told us exactly what was going on.
"It's so heartbreaking because so many little ones attend our shows… I just keep thinking about them.
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR THE VICTIMS OF THE MANCHESTER ARENA ATTACK
Today we launch a Together With Manchester appeal – to raise money for families of the victims of the Arena bomb.
News UK, publisher of The Sun, has made a corporate donation of £100,000 to the appeal.
Here's how you can show your support….
TEXT: Text TWMC50 and amount to 70070 – eg TWMC50 £5
(you can donate £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10)
While Ariana and the band were all safe, Aaron said they had been psychologically scarred by the attack.
He added: "I'm extremely thankful that no one on the touring crew was physically hurt but this painful memory will live with us all forever. I'm still just in disbelief… It's so surreal."
In the wake of the attack, Ariana has decided to cancel her gigs in London later this week, and has put her entire European tour on hold, according to TMZ.
A representative from the singer’s label confirmed the 23-year-old was “okay”, although was reportedly left “in hysterics” following the bombing.
She also posted an emotional message to her Twitter saying: "Broken from the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don’t have words.”
Meanwhile, the bomber has been identified as Manchester-born Salman Abedi.
Cops have also swooped to arrest a 23-year-old man in Chorlton, south Manchester, in connection with the bombing.
ISIS have since claimed responsibility for the barbaric blast and warned of more "severe attacks" in Britain.
A post shared by Aaron Spears (@aspears)
Among the many dead is pop fan Georgina Callander, 18, who has today been described as a girl who “lit up the room”.
She had tragically written to her pop hero yesterday, telling the pop star: “SO EXCITED TO SEE U TOMORROW”.
Saffie Rose Roussos, who was just eight-years-old, was the second victim to be named on Tuesday.
Source: Read Full Article