NETFLIX'S Bridgerton boss has revealed why hunky Regé-Jean Page can NEVER return to show – even for a cameo.
Fans of the hit period drama were left devastated last month when it was confirmed the hunky actor would not be reprising his role as Simon Basset for the second season.
- The best series on Netflix
- The best movies on Netflix
- New on Netflix: What to watch this week
Many hoped there would be a way for the actor, 31, to make brief appearances in the future – especially as the show has already been recommissioned for a third and fourth series – but Bridgerton boss Shonda Rhimes has shut those hopes down.
During a chat with The Hollywood Reporter, Shonda and Netflix's Bela Bajaria were asked if there were ever instances when clauses were added to actor's contracts so they could make cameos in the future.
Referring to Rege's story arc in season one with Phoebe Dynevor, who plays Daphne Bridgerton, Shonda replied: "I was just excited about the idea of being able to tell a complete romantic tale that has an end, where you're not finding 14 other reasons why the couple can't be together or frankly having Regé stand in the background of somebody else's romance. That doesn't make sense."
Bela added they are simply following the books by Julia Quinn, saying: "Those books really dictated what we did, and we want talent to have an amazing experience and tell the story they're telling authentically, not, 'Oh, can you just come over here and do this little thing?'
"Like, is that satisfying? Is that what actors want to do? He delivered on his story."
Addressing fan reaction to Rege's character and his exit from the drama, Shonda added: "I don't think I fully expected or understood what releasing all eight episodes around the globe at once was going to do.
"And yeah, I was like, 'I've killed many a man that people adore.'
"I'm so surprised that everybody is [losing it over a character we've watched] for eight episodes leaving. But obviously Regé is an amazing actor and he did an amazing thing and people responded."
She added: "I also was surprised because the nature of this series is simply, this year it's this couple, this year it's [that] couple."
Shonda previously shut down speculation Regé quit the show after the two butted heads.
She insisted the actor was only ever signed up for one series of the show and did a fantastic job with the character.
Bridgerton series one is available on Netflix.
What’s on Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime?
Looking for a new Netflix series to binge or the best movies to watch on Amazon Prime? We have you covered…
- New on Netflix: The best series and films released every day
- The best movies on Netflix to watch right now
- The best series to watch on Netflix
- The most terrifying horrors to watch on Netflix right now
- The best documentaries to watch on Netflix right now
- The best comedies to watch on Netflix right now
- The best thrillers to watch on Netflix right now
- The best kids' shows on Netflix to watch right now
- The best true crime series to watch on Netflix
- The best movies to watch on Amazon Prime
- The best series to watch on Amazon Prime
- The best series on Disney+
Source: Read Full Article